Three Cheers for Colin as Bourne claim double

Colin Cheer was named man of the match
Colin Cheer was named man of the match
Have your say

Bourne completed a Twenty/ 20 cup double with a seven-wicket win in the Stamford Charity Cup final at Market Deeping’s Outgang Road.

They lifted their second piece of silverware in six days by beating Stamford Town.

Bourne were ruthless right at the start of both innings and always dominated the game on Monday night.

The cup holders – who last week also collected the Jaidka Cup – won with three overs to spare after restricting Stamford to 114-8.

Stamford opened the batting in disastrous fashion.

An eventful first over of the game saw Bourne bowler Colin Cheer bowl two wides, a no ball, get hit for four, but most significantly take two wickets.

Chris Bore was the first to fall to just the second ball he faced, the first legal delivery of the innings, before Simon Prentice fell for 2.

Early on Stamford’s top batsman Zac Chappell could only watch from the other end as his team- mates succumbed to Cheer’s bowling.

Cheer took a third wicket, Simon Lem for 1, in his second over and could have had more with two golden chances dropped early on.

When Chappell did get to the crease he made his mark, hitting 13 off the fifth over to take Stamford to 31-3.

While man-of-the-match Cheer (3-34) was taking the wickets his bowling partner Tom Dixon was bamboozling the Stamford top order with his spin.

Dixon (1-11) bowled two maiden overs to start his spell to keep Stamford’s run rate at a trickle early on.

Chappell finally broke the leash, smashing two big sixes including a beautiful straight drive which cleared the clubhouse, and took Stamford to 62-4 before losing out to the bowling of Sam Evison (2-19) in the 11th over for 42 runs.

Once Chappell was dislodged the wickets began to fall until a final flurry from Stamford led by Ben Peck.

Bourne opened their innings with the prowess of defending champions.

Conrad Louth, who had dropped a couple of difficult catches in the field, made amends with the bat, dispatching the first ball for six, to help his side to 11 runs from the first over.

Louth lasted until the sixth over to take his side to 48-2, scoring 41 by himself before Steve Armstrong claimed his wicket to add to that of fellow opener David Greenfield (1).

Bourne only lost another wicket, that of Jack Berry (18), before they went on to cruise home to a resounding victory in the 17th over.

Carl Wilson (27 not out) and Rob Bentley (21 not out) took Bourne home at a canter, finishing on 115-3.