The power station at Sutton Bridge (pictured) was evacuated and fire engines called at lunchtime today (Thursday) when an electrical component gave off acrid fumes and triggered alarms.
Some 28 staff followed the fire safety procedure, leaving the building and going to an assembly point until firefighters gave the all clear.
A solenoid – a circuit board component in an outhouse – overheated, but there was no fire.
The power station was not running at the time.
Plant manager Gary Dempster said: “I have been here since day one, 14 years ago, and this is the first time we have had the fire brigade attend for an incident.”
Four fire engines attended from Norfolk and Lincolnshire.
2pm: Firefighters are dealing with a blaze at Sutton Bridge Power Station this afternoon (Thursday).
Crews are currently putting out an electrical fire within a temporary building at the compound in Centenary Way.
Firefighters in Lynn and Long Sutton were called out at 1.15pm.
The fire has been described as small.