The death of a Weston man while on holiday in Turkey was ‘alcohol and drugs related’, a coroner has concluded.
Mark Jervis James, 47, of Broadgate, was on holiday in Marmaris with his partner Lesley Murray, when he was found dead in the en-suite bathroom of his hotel room on May 12, of this year.
At an inquest at Boston Coroner’s Court on Wednesday, Miss Murray described how the pair had been enjoying the entertainment the evening before in the hotel’s bar and restaurant with friends they had met at the resort.
Mr James had been prescribed diazepam, citalopram and tramadol by his GP back in the UK for medical issues with his back and spine.
Miss Murray told the coroner this could often make him appear drunk.
At one point in the evening, he went to get his partner a drink, and when he returned a while later, he appeared ‘slowed’ said Miss Murray.
Miss Murray, thinking he may have taken more tablets, decided at this point to go back to the room.
She said that to her knowledge, Mr James had not drunk earlier that night but later discovered that after she had returned to the room he did drink.
While in the room Miss Murray received a call from the hotel’s reception because Mr James was said to be ‘passed out in the reception area on one of the sofas’.
Miss Murray told the inquest how Mr James could go through periods of heavy drinking before stopping for prolonged periods of time.
“They asked me if I wanted the emergency services for him,” said Miss Murray, who broke down giving evidence.
“And I said no, because I’ve seen it all so many times before. I just assumed he had passed out through drink and would be back to normal the next day.
“I just went back to my room, I just saw red and thought he’d failed again.”
Mr James was taken to the en-suite bathroom and laid on his side. Miss Murray checked on him during the night but when she awoke the next day she found he had died.
She attempted CPR and called for help, however, paramedics declared Mr James dead when they arrived on scene, the inquest was told.
Post mortems carried out in Turkey and in the UK, found evidence of all three prescription drugs in his system along with 324 milligrams of ethanol (alcohol) in 100 millilitres of blood, some of which was attributed to the embalming process. The legal limit to drive in the UK is 80mgs. The post mortems concluded Mr James had most likely died of a combination of drug and alcohol toxicity.
South Lincolnshire assistant coroner Dr Murray Spittal therefore recorded that Mr James’ death was ‘drugs and alcohol related’.
It was revealed on Wednesday that Mr James also had an address in Newquay.