Three dogs die in fire at Bourne kennels

Three dogs after a fire at Dawsmere Kennels in Bourne' today.  Photo by Tim Wilson.
Three dogs after a fire at Dawsmere Kennels in Bourne' today. Photo by Tim Wilson.

Three dogs, thought to be Staffordshire bull terriers, have died after a fire at a boarding kennels in Bourne

It happened at Dawsmere Kennels in Spalding Road where the dogs were being kept in offices while waiting to be re-homed.

Firefighters from Bourne, Market Deeping and Spalding were called shortly after 5.20am today and used water jets to put out the fire.

Tragically, all three dogs died due to smoke inhalation and the fire is thought to have been broken out when a heater fell over and set a towel alight.

Max Mauchline, trustee of Three Counties Dog Rescue which was caring for the dogs, said: “The dogs had been moved into the reception area for extra warmth last night.

“We think there was an electrical incident of some sort because there was heating on in the offices overnight but, sadly, the dogs died from smoke inhalation.”

A Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “The incident was at a boarding kennels where a fire was started when an electrical heater toppled over and ignited a towel.

“The fire caused severe damage to the reception area of the building which was also full of smoke and, unfortunately, three dogs died as a result of smoke inhalation.”