Tony Button, of Long Sutton & District Civic Society, got in touch with reference to this picture of the Long Sutton ‘Boys’ away from home in the 1st World War.
When it appeared on February 10, the picture was accompanied by the words of the town’s vicar saying the boys wouldn’t return home if they had the chance.
Tony tells us that, sadly, three of the young men never made it home again.
The three men were George Churchill (23) (top left), William Gee (29), pictured in the middle of the back row, and (next one along) George Kirk (19).
George Churchill was the son of Harry and Sarah Rosa Churchill, of the Corn Exchange Inn in Long Sutton. He was a lance corporal in A company, 11th battalion of the Suffolks. George was killed in action in 1916. There is a cross bearing his name in Ration Farm Military Cemetery in France, but Tony suspects George was one of the missing.
William Gee, who went into the 2nd battalion of the Suffolks as a private, died of wounds in 1918, right at the end of the war. He is buried in the British cemetery in Beaulencourt, France.
George Kirk, who died in 1916, was the son of Edward and Martha Kirk of Long Sutton.
The information on the men was gathered for the 1st World War exhibitions organised by the civic society last year.