Many of the buildings surrounding the Market Place have changed very little during the last 50 years.
The only exception is the Corn Exchange, built in 1855/6, which was demolished in 1972 to make way for the South Holland Centre. The other major change has been the pedestrianisation which was warmly welcomed by the majority of Spaldonians who no longer had to dodge the heavy goods vehicles thundering through the town. As this work was carried out the original cobbles were revealed underneath the tarmac, so Lincolnshire County Council decided to incorporate some of these into the present market area to make it the attractive place it is today.
It is likely that, short of a disaster, the Market Place will stay the same as the majority of buildings surrounding it have been listed by English Heritage, such as the White Hart, the Red Lion and Barclays Bank, while others are recorded as of local historic interest.
One interesting passage way off the Market Place is the Hole-in-the Wall which leads into Francis Street and the Crescent. It is believed that this passage was originally a gate in the monastic wall of the Spalding Priory, which stood on the site until it was totally demolished in 1538. However, there seems to be very little evidence to verify this information. It would be useful to be able to clarify this once and for all and we appeal to the owners of the surrounding buildings to ask them to check their existing ancient deeds to see if any reference has been made to the origin of this passage. More information would be welcome.
If you would like to join the Civic Society telephone 01775 767923.