Stole car in Spalding and crashed it into front garden

Boston Magistrates' Court

A 22-year-old man has been given a suspended prison sentence after admitting that he took a car and crashed it into a house and garden, damaging a parked vehicle at the same time.

Connor Frederick Hatch (22), at the time living at Wimberley Close, Weston but now living at Reservoir Road, Surfleet Seas End, admitted aggravated vehicle taking when he appeared before magistrates in Boston.

Marie Stace, prosecuting, said Hatch and another defendant, who had failed to answer his bail for court, were staying at a house in Spalding when at 4am on May 27, they were seen to take a Fiat Punto belonging to the home owner and drive away, doing wheel spins around a nearby roundabout.

Twenty minutes later, around two and a half miles away, the two crashed the car into the front garden of a house in Halmer Gate, damaging a bay window and knocking down two trees, which crashed into a Toyota car parked in the driveway of the garden next door.

Ms Stace said both men then ran off but were arrested later and both then denied being the driver, However, Hatch’s DNA was found on the airbag in the driver’s seat, she said.

When he was interviewed by the police, he said he could not remember much of the incident as he had been drinking but he said he did not take the car himself.

Ms Stace said Hatch had a previous conviction for aggravated vehicle taking in 2014.

Mitigating, Helen Coney said Hatch denied being the driver and his DNA could have got on the driver’s airbag when he fell against it in the crash.

She said he had lost his job as the victim’s father was his employer but he had been able to get another job.

The magistrates told Hatch they were ‘dismayed’ by his unenviable record and sentenced him to eight weeks in prison but suspended it for 18 months. They also ordered him to carry out 33 days of rehabilitation.

In addition he was banned from driving for 13 months and ordered to pay compensation, costs and charges totalling £265.

They issued a warrant for the arrest of the second man, Jonathan Charles Wiggins.

More from News