Seven lives lost since road opened in 2010

News from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian,, @LincsFreePress on Twitter
News from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian,, @LincsFreePress on Twitter
Have your say

Seven people have been killed on the A16 between Cowbit and Crowland since it replaced the notorious A1073 as the main road fewer than four years ago.

The death toll includes the 37-year-old motoryclist, Marcel Banom, from Peak Hill, Cowbit, who was killed on Wednesday in a 6am accident in thick fog.

Mr Banom was pronounced dead at the scene of an accident with a car and a lorry, which happened half-a-mile along the road from the Cowbit roundabout.

Campaigners spent years highlighting the high accident rate on the A1073, but now the A16 is claiming even more lives than the road it replaced.

Just one life was lost on the A1073 in the five years to August 2010, when the Cowbit to Crowland section of the A16 opened.

Spalding man Rodney Sadd, who uses the A16 Crowland bypass to travel to work in Peterborough, came across Wednesday’s fatal crash – and one of his colleagues lost his life on the road a year ago.

Mr Sadd said the new carriageway should have been dualled, but blames the accident rate on the standard of driving.

He’s calling for police to step up patrols to put the brakes on drivers who risk everything to overtake.

Mr Sadd said: “To be honest and clear, it’s not always the road, it’s the driving standards. We see it every morning. People are hell bent on overtaking, I don’t know why. You end up seeing their cars a few cars in front of you in Peterborough.

“It’s a real concern with the number of lives we have lost in such a short time. If we had the police with us at this time in the morning they would really see it as it is.”

The Perkins Engines worker was back on his 6am run to Peterborough on Friday morning – when the road was again shrouded in thick fog – and was surprised by how few street lights were switched on.

The driver of a Volkwagen Passat, a 24-year-old Spalding man, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving following Wednesday’s tragedy and is on police bail until June 19 while inquiries continue.