Residents told ‘tick, tock, test’

Residents are being advised to check their smoke alarms when they turn their clock back this weekend.

Residents are being advised to check their smoke alarms when they turn their clock back this weekend.

1
Have your say

People across South Holland are being advised to check their smoke alarms while turning the clocks back this weekend.

A “tick, tock, test” has been set by Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue in partnership with the Government’s Fire Kills campaign after almost 200 people died in UK house fires last year.

Government figures show that 70 per cent of deaths came from people not being alerted by a smoke alarm and you are more than four times as likely to die in a house fire where a smoke alarm isn’t working.

People should test batteries regularly, install smoke alarms on each floor of their home, clean them regularly and check on elderly friends and relatives as more than half of those who died in house fires last year were aged over 65.

Debbie Robinson, community fire safety manager for Lincolnshire, said: “Everyone notices when a clock stops ticking, but it’s harder to tell when a smoke alarm has stopped working.

“However, by pushing the ‘test’ button on every smoke alarm in their home, people could save the lives of their parents, children, friends and themselves.

“That’s why we’re asking people to check their smoke alarms by saying ‘tick, tock, test’ when they change their clocks this weekend.”

Three weeks ago, four separate house fires were reported on the same day in Lincolnshire after cooking was left unattended and an oven was accidentally switched on.

One of the fires was in Whaplode St Catherine where a woman left her chip pan unattended and another in Wigtoft saw a saucepan left unattended, resulting in severe damage to the cooker, kitchen units and other parts of the house because of smoke.

Debbie said: “It’s so important for people to be careful when cooking as 60 per cent of all fires in the home start in the kitchen.

“People should never leave their cooking unattended and as soon as they’ve finished cooking, they should make sure that all kitchen appliances are turned off.

“House fires can easily be prevented with a bit of common sense.”