Pupils sent home after fire

A fire crew outside the Gleed Boys and Gleed Girls Technology College after a fire.
A fire crew outside the Gleed Boys and Gleed Girls Technology College after a fire.
0
Have your say

MORE than 1,000 pupils from two Spalding secondary schools were sent home after a fire caused by an electrical fault.

Flames in a small outbuilding on the Gleed Boys’ School site set off smoke alarms in its buildings and the adjoining Gleed Girls Technology College and students and staff had to be evacuated shortly after 11am on Tuesday.

Heading home early: Gleed pupils on Tuesday.

Heading home early: Gleed pupils on Tuesday.

The fire was quickly put out and firefighters ensured the schools were safe, but both schools were left without power and parents were called to collect pupils and school buses were organised to get youngsters home.

Gleed Girls headteacher Janet Daniels said: “Everyone is to be congratulated for the calm manner in which they evacuated and the sensible way they behaved throughout the incident.

“It was one of those things which could have been very serious but fortunately it wasn’t and the electricity company worked late into the night to restore the power supply and everything is now back to normal.”

Both schools were able to re-open yesterday.