Planners reject unchanged housing plans which failed to offer more affordable homes

Property news
Property news
0
Have your say

An application for 45 houses in Kirton has been turned down by planners over fears about traffic safety – despite being told the applicant ‘firmly believes the proposal will make a contribution to the housing shortage’.

The outline application sought to get permission for the dwellings on London Road, in Kirton.

It had previously appeared before council in February when it had been deferred so that the applicant (Richard Reed Builders Ltd) could re-consider the number of affordable houses in the scheme and the number of open market houses to ‘enable a less dense scheme’.

However, last Tuesday Boston Borough Council planning officers were told that despite ‘extensive discussions’ no agreement had been reached and the applicant requested the plans return as originally submitted.

Members were told he did not want to provide afffordable housing and had suggested reducing the dwellings to 36, with six starter homes, or making an off-site financial contribution to affordable housing of £360,000.

Coun Claire Rylott, who called the application in, said she was ‘disappointed’ it had come back unamended.

Agent Lewis Smith said: “My client has been building houses in the borough for many years. He lives 100 metres from the site. He firmly believes our proposal will make a contribution to the housing shortage and provide an attractive approach to the village.”

The parish council raised objections due to the over development of the site and safety issues joining the road at London Road - something county highways did not object to.