AROUND 20 people were evacuated from seven homes last night (Monday) at Deeping St James following a gas explosion and fire in Manor Way.
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue say gas leaking from an underground main was ignited by an electrical switch in a sewage pumping plant – blowing the doors off the “shed-like” installation into the road and setting the plant on fire.
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue alerted police at 7.40pm and officers asked nearby families to leave their homes as a safety precaution.
Officers also guarded the scene while emergency services dealt with the incident.
A police spokesman said no one was hurt in the incident and the families were allowed to return home after the area was made safe at around 3am today.
Fire severely damaged the sewage pumping electrical switch station and four metres of fencing.
A fire crew from Market Deeping was sent to Manor Way shortly after 7pm and a further crew from Crowland was asked to assist.
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue spokesman Steve Pembroke said British Gas attended to carry out repairs.
Mr Pembroke said: “The doors of the sewage switch station were blown into the road. It probably went off with quite a loud bang.”