Look what blaze did to my garden

The scene as smoke filled St John's Road on Sunday.
The scene as smoke filled St John's Road on Sunday.
0
Have your say

BURNT wood, metal and the remains of what was in a garden shed is all that is left in two gardens in Spalding after a bonfire got out of control.

Michael and Helene Smith, of St John’s Road, have been surveying the damage after a fire spread from the garden next door on Sunday.

As reported in Tuesday’s Lincolnshire Free Press, the road was closed as smoke billowed into the street.

Mrs Smith said they were alerted to the fire by a neighbour at about noon.

“Someone came knocking on the door and they said we should get out of the house because there was a fire,” she said. “I opened the door and there was an explosion. There was thick black smoke and flames shooting up.”

Mrs Smith says they were allowed back into their home at about 2pm.

Firefighters said the blaze spread after a bonfire was left unattended.