A patient from Long Sutton has claimed he was given the wrong medication while he was treated in hospital.
Jonathan Congreve, of Highgrove, said he was administered with a drug containing an element of penicillin, which he is allergic to, when he was admitted to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn earlier this month.
However, the hospital has declined to comment on the claims.
Mr Congreve said the incident happened on June 3, after he had been admitted to the hospital’s medical assessment unit.
He said he took the medication administered to him by two members of staff, before they returned a short time later.
He said: “They came into my cubicle, drew the curtain and said, ‘There’s been an error. We’re very, very sorry, but you have been given the medication that was meant for the patient next door’.”
He added that he had told staff that he was allergic to penicillin when he was first admitted and suffered side-effects from the medication.
He said he had also suffered a seizure, though he does not know whether that was connected to the error.
Mr Congreve said he had some sympathy for the staff involved, who were coming to the end of a 12-hour shift when the incident happened.
But he added: “They did it without checking the medication chart for me, which was right in front of them.”
Dr Beverly Watson, the hospital’s medical director, said: “Our aim is to provide a high standard of care on every occasion and as such we take complaints very seriously.
“Due to patient confidentiality we are unable to comment on individual cases.”