DCSIMG

Young driver used his car ‘as a weapon’

A young driver who mowed down a pedestrian has been locked up by a judge at Lincoln Crown Court.

Kiene Blake drove into the man following an incident on Boston Road South, Holbeach back in April 2011.

Abigail Joyce, prosecuting, said: “This involved the defendant deliberately driving at a young man walking down the road. It followed various altercations earlier on.”

Blake (20), of High Road, Whaplode, denied dangerous driving on April 11, 2011 but was found guilty by a jury after a trial.

He was sent to a young offenders’ institution for 12 months and banned from driving for three years.

He will only be allowed his licence back when he has passed an extended re-test.

Judge Sean Morris told him “You used your car as a weapon and mowed somebody down in the street deliberately.

“You could have crippled that man for life. Cars in the hands of people like you are lethal weapons

“You tried to brazen it out but you were convicted on overwhelming evidence.”

Sunil Khanna, defending, said Blake had no previous convictions and urged he be given a suspended sentence.

Mr Khanna said: “He was just turned 18 when this occurred. This was a young man he had no animosity with.

“He is in full-time employment. He has obtained work and made a go of life. He has a daughter and another child on the way.”

Mr Khanna said Blake is remorseful for what happened and was considered a low risk of committing further offences. He is a young man with his whole life ahead of him. This has been a real lesson to him.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page