‘Times up’ for derelict shops

This building in Holbeach High Street could not be better named.

This building in Holbeach High Street could not be better named.

‘Timesup’ – it’s literally been on the wall of a derelict building in Holbeach for years - but now the owner needs to take action or face losing it.

A new get-tough policy introduced by South Holland District Council could see crumbling buildings like this subject to a compulsory purchase order and developed into something the district needs to help it prosper.

This week deputy leader Nick Worth underlined the council’s pledge to make South Holland “somewhere great for people to live and work”.

It couldn’t have come sooner for Coun Francis Biggadike of the Holbeach Town ward.

He said: “Someone emailed me this week about the state of an old kebab house in the High Street.

“Over the years we have tried to help owners of buildings needing attention by securing English Heritage cash, but the time lapsed before anything was done and the money was lost. There have been plans to redevelop the Timesup site for some time, but nothing has come of it.

“It’s good that we can finally take action.”

* The change in policy follows a plan by the council to set up its own housing company to build homes.

How derelict buildings are dealt with will be considered under the Empty Dwelling Management Programme.

Leader Coun Gary Porter has called on councillors to submit a list of buildings that need attention.

He said the council had cut owners “a bit of slack” during the recession, but now the demand for property was high there was no excuse not to do the work and they needed to see things moving forward.

The Spalding Guardian and Lincolnshire Free Press is supporting the council in its campaign and encouraging readers to make their voices heard about what they want. We will be focusing on different towns or villages each week and following progress as it happens.

And to the owners of the properties featured we say, we’d love to print your plans if work is imminent or, if not, please inform South Holland District Council so something can be done.




Back to the top of the page