Smoke scare confirmed by leisure centre
UPDATE FRIDAY 9AM: Bosses at Bourne Leisure Centre have confirmed today that smoke coming from its sauna led to fire crews being called to check the site.
It was initially thought that crews from Bourne and Market Deeping attended after reports of a fire at the leisure centre in Queen’s Road just after 11.15am yesterday.
But a spokeswoman for the centre said today that smoke, rather than fire, was the result of a customer leaving a “menthol product” on hot coals in the sauna.
“We work in partnership with Lincolnshire County Council and we’d like to confirm that there wasn’t a fire at Bourne Leisure Centre yesterday,” the spokeswoman said.
“Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue was called after a customer placed a menthol product on the hot coals in the sauna, which we actively seek to prohibit, and it caused a cloud of smoke.”
THURSDAY 5.30PM: A fire at Bourne Leisure Centre earlier today was caused when an item was left on coals in a sauna, it has emerged.
Crews from Bourne and Market Deeping were called to the blaze at the centre in Queen’s Road after an unknown object had been put on hot coals in the sauna.
The blaze was reported just after 11.15am but it was out when crews arrived who later checked the roof for smoke damage.
No one was injured but a follow-up visit by fire prevention officers to the centre is planned.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Spalding
Wednesday 22 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 28 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 25 mph
Wind direction: North