DCSIMG

People urged to clean chimneys

editorial image

editorial image

People in South Holland, Bourne and the Deepings are being urged to clean their chimneys after a spate of fires across the county.

One of them was in High Road, Moulton, where a chimney fire was put out on Thursday evening.

Debbie Robinson, deputy community safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, blamed most chimney fires on blocked flues which should be cleaned regularly by householders.

She said: “Chimney fires most commonly result from four basic causes - infrequent sweeping and cleaning, burning of unseasoned wood, improper appliance sizing and overnight burning or smouldering of wood for long periods in wood burners.

“So to reduce the risk of a fire, make sure your chimney is swept regularly by a qualified, professional chimney sweep.

“Put simply, if your chimney flue is clean, it will not catch fire because there is nothing in it to burn.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page