DCSIMG

Former head’s sick sex attacks on his students

Bryan Greenhalgh ANL-140620-141015001

Bryan Greenhalgh ANL-140620-141015001

The former headteacher of a boarding school for boys with behaviourial issues has been handed a discretionary life sentence after pleading guilty to a series of sexual attacks against pupils.

Sick Bryan Greenhalgh (63)carried out some of the assaults when he was head of the former Thurlby Manor boarding school in the early 1980s.

He admitted 13 counts of indecent assault and one count of buggery* when he appeared at Norwich Crown Court on March 6.

The case could not previously be reported because of reporting restrictions in the trial of the housefather of another school where the pair worked.

Ken Wells (76), of Bracken Dale, Leicester, was on Thursday found guilty of three cases of indecent assault against a boy at the former Sheringham Court School in the 1970s and jailed for six years.

Wells was found not guilty of four other counts of indecent assault.

The Sheringham school closed in 1980 when it was relocated to South Lincolnshire and became Thurlby Manor, operating until 1983.

The charges against Greenhalgh, previously of Suffield near North Walsham in Norfolk, related to eight male victims under the age of 16.

The majority of the offences took place at Sheringham and Thurlby between the mid-1970s and mid-1980s. Greenhalgh was also sentenced for possession of indecent images on his computer.

Describing Greenhalgh as “a very high risk sex offender” Judge Nicholas Coleman handed him a discretionary life sentence.

Detective Constable Tristan Coull, of Norfolk Constabulary’s Child Abuse Investigation Unit, said: “Greenhalgh exploited his position as headmaster to win over the trust of the boys in his care and subjected them to horrendous abuse.

“He preyed on boys who were at their most vulnerable and who at the time of the abuse felt unable to speak out.

“Through the position he held, it would have been the most basic of expectations to protect these children. Instead he chose to do the complete opposite.”

The Constabulary’s Child Abuse Investigation Unit launched ‘Operation Alamo’ in November 2012 after being contacted by a former pupil alleging abuse at Sheringham Court by Greenhalgh and Wells.

Investigations unearthed seven more victims who confirmed they were assaulted at the hands of Greenhalgh.

Detective Inspector Andy Coller, who led the investigation, said: “It has taken an enormous amount of courage for each victim to talk about the abuse, abuse they have had to live with for decades.

“It is pleasing that the passing of some 40 years has not hindered the legal process. Time may make our investigations more complicated, but it will not stop them. We will robustly investigate any offences brought to our attention, however old they may be.”

*Where charges are brought for historic offences, the law applicable at the time of the offence is used. Hence Greenhalgh was charged with buggery rather than the modern equivalent charge of rape.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page