A gruelling six-hour rescue of a Gosberton boy whose arm was trapped in an industrial meat mincer has earned firefighters a commendation reward.
George L’Estrange (six) had been making sausages with his dad, Henry, at their home last September when the youngster put his arm in the machine and it got stuck.
Retained firefighters from Donington – John Scott, Dave Spriggs, Ady Hartfil-Allgood, Mark Stanhope and Shawn Scott – accompanied the surgeons and nurses to Boston Pilgrim Hospital to try to remove the mincer.
But when all efforts failed they called on a Boston tradesmen, who opened his shop to lend them two different sized angle grinders.
They carried on in spite of the risk of sparks from the angle grinder igniting oxygen tanks in the hospital room, as well as the danger of using a tool so close to George’s arm.
After the ordeal, Keiron Davey, technical CFP manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “George was so brave. Despite having obviously painful injuries he remained completely calm throughout the process.
”This rescue was an excellent example of firefighters using their skills and knowledge to the absolute degree.”
The firefighters and crew from Boston who were also involved in the rescue received the Chief Fire Officer’s Commendation Award at a ceremony in the Epic Centre at Lincolnshire Showground for showing professionalism to the highest standards.
One of them, Firefighter Ady Hartfil-Allgood, said: “We were all very proud to receive the award. It’s not something we expect because it’s part of what we do.
“But especially when an incident involves a child, we want to see it through.
“Our wives were also proud to see us receive the award because they are the ones left waiting.”
Michelle Hartfil-Allgood said: “We knew it was a big job when it went to six hours, but we are not allowed to call so it was a very anxious time.
“All of the wives are proud of them.”