DCSIMG

Blaze family’s eviction fears

Samantha Cullingham with her daughters Liberty and Elizabeth who are facing eviction by their landlady just two months after a fire at their home in Fosdyke.  ANL-140703-094424001

Samantha Cullingham with her daughters Liberty and Elizabeth who are facing eviction by their landlady just two months after a fire at their home in Fosdyke. ANL-140703-094424001

A young family are facing eviction just two months after they escaped death when fire and smoke swept through their home in Fosdyke.

Wesley Martin (30), Samantha Cullingham (29) and their daughters Liberty (two) and Elizabeth (one) could find themselves homeless after they were told by a private landlady to leave their home in Washway Road.

The family’s start to the year was ruined after a multi-fuel burner was incorrectly fitted, leading to a fire on January 3 which destroyed at least £5,000 worth of goods.

But now Wesley, Samantha and their children could lose a lot more because, despite being offered hostel accommodation should the eviction go ahead, they would be forced to leave behind much of their belongings and give up their pet dog, Veto, due to lack of space at the hostel.

Samantha said: “About a week after the fire, we got an eviction notice from our landlady stating that she wanted to repossess the property on the grounds that we’re in arrears with our rent.

“But we’ve never been in arrears or caused any other problems, so we think that because of our complaints about the house being in disrepair, our landlady is going to the courts to get the eviction order.

“Also, because we’ve only lived in the area for seven months, Boston Borough Council has told us it can’t house us until we’re removed by bailiffs.

“So now we’re literally sitting ducks, waiting for the bailiffs to throw us out.”

Samantha has turned to Boston and Skegness MP Mark Simmonds for help.

But she said: “We’re stressed and upset that after moving in and thinking we would be here long-term, we’re going to be a young family out on our ear through no fault of our own.”

A Boston Borough Council spokesman said: “We received an out-of-hours call from the family in January following a fire at their home.
“We offered immediate temporary accommodation as the family was homeless in an emergency situation, but this was declined as they stated that they would be staying with relatives.

“The family has very recently completed an application to go on the housing register and an appointment was made for them to see our housing staff.”

Meanwhile, a letter to Wesley and Samantha from Boston and Skegness MP Mark Simmonds said: “I was very concerned to learn of this case and (I) am entirely sympathetic to the distress and anxiety this must be causing you.

“With this in mind, I have written to the chief executive of Boston Borough Council on your behalf.”

A spokesman for Mr Simmonds said he hoped there would be a “satisfactory resolution”.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page