Five house fires in a week across Lincolnshire has prompted the county’s fire service to warn people not to turn their backs on their cooking.
None of the fires were reported in Spalding but across the county, crews were called out to Gainsborough, Grantham, Lincoln and Sleaford twice.
One of the fires started when a man left some lamb chops he was cooking unattended, while two more involved chip pans were caught fire.
Steve Screaton, deputy community safety manager for Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “I know it sounds simple but please, when you are cooking food, stay with it.
“If the phone rings, the kids want to play or there is someone at the door, take the time to turn everything off before you leave the kitchen. Many people think it is harmless but it is a really serious issue where people are putting their lives, the lives of their loved ones and their homes at risk.
“It only takes seconds for a fire to start so don’t take the chance and please wait for your food to cook.”