Jail for caller who was pleased police officer shot

Have your say

CALLING police to tell them he was “pleased” an officer had been shot during an armed siege has resulted in a man being jailed for nine weeks.

Louis Woodward (22) was said to “relish and enjoy” making the offensive call to a police operator the same day an officer was shot in the face during an 11-hour incident in Sutton St James.

He was handed the sentence at Spalding Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday after pleading guilty to making a grossly offensive call from West Road, Bourne, at an earlier hearing.

Prosecutor Rebecca Ritson told the court Woodward’s call had left the operator “distressed”.

She said the woman had not long started her shift on January 31 and had not been aware of the incident.

A single bullet had been fired at a police officer, resulting in the bullet becoming lodged in his mouth. The armed siege came to an end when officers entered a house on Chapelgate and found Barry Horspool (61) dead in an upstairs room.

No shots were fired by armed response officers.

Miss Ritson described how Woodward had told the operator: “I only hope that more people go around doing this sort of thing”, before adding: “I just wanted to let you know how pleased I am.”

Woodward went on to leave his mobile telephone number and address when the operator offered to get an inspector to call him back.

Solicitor Nen Stasojevic, mitigating, told the court Woodward, of Queen Street, Grantham, had a “plethora” of mental health conditions.

He said: “It goes without saying that this is was an act of the greatest folly, greatest stupidity and greatest idiocy.

“There is no mitigation that I can present concerning the actual telephone call itself other than to say Mr Woodward left his full name, he telephoned from his own mobile phone, gave the mobile number to the police and gave his address.”

Mr Stasojevic said there was “no love lost” between Woodward and the police but said there was “no excuse” for his behaviour.

Giving the sentence, presiding magistrate Richard Spinks told Woodward it was a “very serious offence” that caused “great distress” to the police officers involved.

No costs or compensation were awarded.