‘Is your boiler or heater safe to use?’ fire service asks

0
Have your say

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is urging people to get their fires, boilers and other gas appliances checked by a qualified engineer.

The regular gas safety campaign is also encouraging the public to help the vulnerable and elderly, along with friends and family, to keep them safe from poorly maintained gas appliances that could pose a potential risk.

An appeal for people to have their gas appliances inspected by a qualified Gas Safe-registered engineer was also part of Gas Safety Week which ended on Sunday.

Steve Screaton, deputy community safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “With the cold weather on its way, we would encourage you to get your gas appliances checked now, particularly if they have not been done in the last year.

“Faulty gas appliances can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, a gas leak or even an explosion, all of which are extremely dangerous.

“Carbon monoxide is a particular worry as it is colourless and odourless, so can be emitted by faulty appliances without you even noticing.

Faulty gas appliances can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, a gas leak or even an explosion, all of which are extremely dangerous

Steve Screaton, deputy community safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue

“An annual check significantly reduces the risk of this happening so if your appliances have not been checked, please book a check today.”

Jonathan Samuel, managing director for Gas Safe Register which replaced CORGI as the body for registered gas engineers in 2009, said: “We know that around one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe, meaning far too many people are victims of preventable gas-related incidents.”