Immigration protest march is called off

0
Have your say

THE Wyberton man behind a planned protest march about immigration concerns has called the demonstration off.

Dean Everitt decided to call off the march planned to take place in Boston on November 19 after he met with borough council leader Peter Bedford and communities portfolio holder Coun Mike Gilbert on Tuesday night.

The council and Mr Everitt are now appealing for anyone who was planning to go to the protest to stay away.

Mr Everitt said some common ground was found at the meeting over concerns about the impact immigration levels are having on Boston, and he decided to call the march off after accepting assurances that action was being taken.

But he said that there could be a march at a later date if he felt matters had not progressed – but sufficient warning would be given.

He said it had not been an easy decision to call off the march after the support he had been shown, but he was concerned that his plans for a low-level local peaceful protest were in danger of being hi-jacked and so called it off for fear that town centre businesses would suffer.

Assistant Chief Constable Carl Langley said: “We welcome the decision to cancel the march as this was having an impact on the community, causing significant concern.”