Holbeach car park entrance to shut in trial run

Holbeach Market on Boston Road South car park where South Holland District Council plans to close the entrance from Park Road.  Photo by Tim Wilson.
Holbeach Market on Boston Road South car park where South Holland District Council plans to close the entrance from Park Road. Photo by Tim Wilson.

Holbeach could face road chaos from Monday when an entrance to the town’s main car park closes as part of a three-month trial.

Action to stop drivers using Boston Road South car park as a “cut-through” between it and Park Road is to be taken by South Holland District Council to prevent possible accidents.

Whilst understanding where the district council is coming from, shutting Park Road entrance would cause more problems than it would solve

Coun Isobel Hutchinson, chairman of Holbeach Parish Council

But Holbeach Parish Council members are worried that the closure could cause “chaos” in the town centre, especially where Boston Road South, Park Road, High Street, Church Street and West End all meet.

Parish council chairman Coun Isobel Hutchinson said: “The idea to close the entrance to Boston Road South car park in Park Road came from the district council as it feels there is a safety issue with people cutting though the car park, from one entrance to the other.

“There’s a fair amount of traffic that does this and the idea of shutting off one of the entrances is, in principle, a good one.

“But shutting the Park Road entrance will cause more chaos because you will have more traffic coming out of one entrance when the roads are busy anyway.

“Also, Park Road entrance is the one used by most people going to the surgery and some of them would want to use the disabled parking spaces in the car park, spaces that would be further away if people going to the surgery had to use the Boston Road South car park entrance.

“So it was felt that, whilst understanding where the district council is coming from, shutting Park Road entrance would cause more problems than it would solve.”

A South Holland District Council spokesman said: “A recent survey found that a high number of cars were using Boston Road South car park as a cut-through, often at speed, which has obvious safety issues.

“We wrote to Holbeach Parish Council and it is keen to keep both entrances open, whilst understanding the need for better traffic management.

“We have looked at all options, including central bollards in the middle of the car park, but closing one of the entrances is a cost-free option.”

Uproar over market move in Holbeach from next month

Holbeach open for business’ message from new partnership

Good signs so far for Holbeach market move