The family of a 84-year-old woman at a Spalding nursing home want answers after a virus led to its closure to the public for two weeks.
Adult care officials blamed a “diarrhoea and vomiting blow” for the temporary closure of St John’s Care Home, Hawthorn Bank, which reopened late last week.
My mother and other residents must have felt like they’d been abandoned by their families after two weeks without any contact and no definite date as to when the care home would open
But in a statement, the family claimed that the care home had left residents “abandoned” and “stuck in limbo” because of a lack of information as to when it would reopen.
The statement said: “My mother was placed at St John’s on a temporary basis just over four weeks ago due to a bad fall last December.
“Everything was fine at first, with (the family) visiting and helping her settle in.
“But then we weren’t able to visit her for over two weeks as the home was closed because of a (virus).
“We had to telephone (St John’s) constantly to find out what was going on because there was no communication and, after making another effort on Tuesday to find out when the home would be reopened, we were informed that another resident had become infected.”
Tests are being done to find out whether or not the care home was affected by the Winter vomiting bug” known as norovirus which can be spread either by close contact with someone infected, touching contaminated items or by eating contaminated food, according to information from the NHS.
The statement continued: “My mother and other residents must have felt like they’d been abandoned by their families after two weeks without any contact and no definite date as to when the care home would open.
“That is a long time when all you want to be is in your own home, when your family is unable to visit you for over two weeks or have the (required) observations carried out.
“So my mum was stuck in limbo, unable to move on or go home to where she wants to be.”
Carolyn Nice, county manager for adult care at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “I am pleased to say that St John’s Care Home is now free from a diarrhoea and vomiting bug after an outbreak earlier this month.
“We have worked with St John’s to ensure that they have the processes and support in place for the infection to be cleared up as soon as possible and to keep residents safe and well.
“We were reassured that St John’s took all the appropriate action and kept in touch with the home on a daily basis during the infection.
“The council works closely with care homes in Lincolnshire to make sure they are equipped to deal with such outbreaks of infection.”