Flood water threatened Spalding home

Have your say

A Spalding couple woke up to find their garden completely flooded after what was expected to be one of the worst storms since the 1987 hurricane.

Bernard and Angela Parrish said they were forced to call Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue before the water seeped into their home.

The couple had been concerned when they heard St Jude Storm – which lashed Britain overnight Sunday, claiming four lives and leaving 270,000 homes without electricity – was heading their way.

Firefighters were pumping water from the garden when the Free Press visited Mr and Mrs Parrish at their home in Mallard Road, Low Fulney, this morning to see the damage.

When the firefighters left over two hours later, they had removed 120,000 litres of water.

This is the second time the couple have been hit by flooding. In 2009 their home was flooded inside, causing damage to the lounge floor, walls and carpets.

Mrs Parrish, who had to cancel a Christmas shopping trip to Lincoln, said: “When I heard about the storm I couldn’t sleep but when I looked out at 3am there was no sign of anything. But when I looked out again at 6am the garden was completely flooded.”

Mr Parrish called Anglian Water, who he said told him to call South Holland District Council, who referred them back to the water authority.

He said: “In the end I had no option but to call the fire brigade, which I feel terrible about because while they are here they are not able to answer any other calls.

“But no-one else seemed to want to take responsibilty for the water. It isn’t mine – it’s coming off the roads and glass houses of businesses around me. But my insurance company has told me I have to take measures to stop water entering my property or expect a £5,000 excess on my policy.”

Strong winds began on Sunday afternoon and the county was bracing itself for winds up to 80mph.

A major incident room was set up by Lincolnshire Police, who were expecting reports of “serious damage”.

Residents were also hit by localised flooding in the Bourne and Donington areas, due mainly to blockages in the drains.

Problems with the drains also meant pupils at Spalding Primary School had a day off but they were expected to return tomorrow (Tuesday).

There were power cuts in the Lutton area, with 24 residents in Gedney Dyke affected at 9.15am. All supplies were restored by 11am.

A spokesman for Western Power said: “An overhead line did come down, due to a failure on a piece of our equipment. It is not clear if this was weather-related or not, but this has now been fully repaired.”

Commuters were also hit by chaos on the rail network, with no service from Peterborough to London due to problems with overhead cables.

A spokesman for East Coast Trains said it was hoped the service would be resumed as close as possible tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. He said: “The storm damage has resulted in multiple incidents involving overhead power lines, with many fallen trees and debris across the line – and the heavy rain has flooded tracks in places, causing problems to signalling.

“Network Rail is working to clear the debris from the track and to resolve other issues.”

Weather conditions improved during the morning as the storm headed off to the North Sea. The district remains on Amber flood alert.