Family at a loss after huge fire

Jay Farmer surveys the damage after a fire which destroyed his prefabricated bungalow in Oldham Drive, Pinchbeck, on Monday.
Jay Farmer surveys the damage after a fire which destroyed his prefabricated bungalow in Oldham Drive, Pinchbeck, on Monday.

A Pinchbeck couple have been left reeling by a fire outside their home - the second such disaster within four years.

The blaze destroyed a prefabricated bungalow in Oldham Drive owned by Jay (44) and Julia Farmer (46) who saw their home nearby go up in flames in February 2011.

Firefighters from Spalding wearing breathing apparatus took more than five hours to put out the blaze with water jets and they left the scene at about midnight.

Investigators from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue are trying to establish whether the blaze on Monday, which caused damage to about £20,000 worth of furniture alone, was started deliberately.

Jay said: “It was our neighbour who told us about the fire which totally destroyed a prefabricated bungalow where we kept some of our personal belongings, including work equipment and old furniture we had that no longer goes with the decor of the house.

“But what hurts more than anything is the fact that we lost a lot of stuff belonging to my father and my wife’s mum and dad.

“They are things we can’t replace and my wife hasn’t slept for two nights because she’s worried that somebody may have done this on purpose.”

It is the latest setback for the couple after an electrical fault in a fridge motor led to a house fire in February 2011 which left the kitchen 
and ground floor badly damaged.

But four months later, thieves stole about £4,000 worth of goods rescued from the fire, including tools, jewellery and an antique mirror.

Jay, who runs his own kitchen and bathroom renovation business, said: “The firefighters were here within minutes on Monday and it definitely wasn’t an electrical fault that caused the fire because the power to the building has been diconnected.

“I don’t have a clue what’s happened but because of the fire three years ago, no one would insure the bungalow.

“There’s CCTV on the farm buildings next door so we’re hoping there may be some evidence on that.

“But there’s a lot of worry and stress for us at the moment.”

Anyone with information should call police on 101, stating incident 7 of October 14.