Exciting details unearthed in dig

0
Have your say

INVESTIGATIONS into the findings of an archaeological dig in Pinchbeck have uncovered much more than the group behind it were expecting.

Researchers have been exploring the background to Healey’s Field after a large scale dig began at the site last year.

The report, commissioned by Pode Hole businessman John Lyon, has revealed the most likely building they have found remains of is Croswithand House, which was owned by Robert Cust from 1479.

Members of the Pinchbeck History and Archaeology Project had previously believed the manor site belonged to Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Essex.

The report by David and Angela Hibbitt suggests Croswithand House had a large central hall and the master and mistress slept in a bedroom at the rear. Evidence suggests the house became ruinous in the 1800s.

Further work still needs to be done but the latest information came from three days of research at the Lincolnshire Archives from title deeds, maps, acreage books, wills and a book on the history of the Cust family.

Project spokesman Ray Tucker said: “It’s unearthed a lot more detail that we need to know.

“We are really hoping that we get some lottery funding and it’s all systems go. We have a lot more people now willing to take part.”

The group is hoping to secure up to £50,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to continue their work.

If they are successful, it is hoped digging will commence again in spring.