A major revamp with new kitchens and bathrooms is on the cards at an historic almshouses complex known as The Square, off Church Street, Spalding.
South Holland District Council owns the two houses and 14 flats, which form three sides of a square, and is seeking planning consent and listed building consent for refurbishment works.
If consent is granted, the project will include kitchen and bathroom strip-out and replacement, changes to internal walls, installation of new heating and ventilation systems, as well as repairs to ashlar dressings and cast iron rainwater goods.
Agents for the council and chartered architects O & L (Oglesby and Limb Ltd) have submitted a supporting document, which includes details of the site’s use for almshouses dating back to 1501 during the reign of Henry VII.
The site was rebuilt Gothic style in 1843-4.
They quote from “Aspects of Spalding – People and Places”, by Michael Elsden and the late Norman Leveritt, who speak about the present buildings being “erected to accommodate 34 inmates who received 3s. 6d. a week, with medical attendance, coals and rooms free of costs, and are required to satisfy the Town Husbands that they have been resident in Spalding for many years, maintaining a good character, and possessing at least 2s. 6d. of their own, or guaranteed by their friends”.
Their source was the History and Recollections of Spalding lecture by Canon Moore dating to 1885.
The sum 2s.6d equalled 12.5p in decimal currency – and 3s 6d equalled 17.5p.
O & L say the current works “are proposed to protect and extend the life of the building fabric”.
Their report continues: “It is acknowledged that the introduction of ventilation and heating systems will require local alterations to the building exterior, however these will be located on the rear elevations where the historic and architectural value is lowest.”