Drink-driver’s high speed bid to lose police car

Have your say

A DRINK-driver led police on a high speed pursuit when he knew his “foolish mistake” would lose him his job and possibly end his career.

Police followed George Brown in his Audi A4 when they spotted him near Barrier Bank near Spalding shortly after midnight on August 4.

Marie Stace, prosecuting at Spalding Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, said officers slipped into a lay-by, to allow Brown to pass, and followed him to Moulton Chapel.

Brown drove into a private yard, the officers followed and the two cars ended up facing one another.

Miss Stace said officers believed Brown was “intending to ram them”, but he reversed away and then drove quickly towards the entrance.

Brown set off on the A16 Crowland bypass at high speed and the officers, who estimated their speed at 70mph, said Brown’s car was leaving them “to the point where they lost sight of it”.

Another officer was called in to go to the address of the Audi’s registered keeper and saw Brown get out of the car and run into a wooded spinney.

Brown was detained and a test revealed 64 microgrammes of alcohol in breath – the legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

Miss Stace said Brown’s girlfriend had driven him to the Ship Albion earlier that night, where he had four or five pints, and collected him at 11.15pm.

But they argued and he took the car and drove off.

Anita Toal, mitigating, said Brown had a degree in quantity surveying and would lose his job as a trainee quantity surveyor as his work involved travelling from site to site.

His employers described his actions that night “as very much out of character for him”.

Mrs Toal told the court: “That foolish decision that night has had a devastating impact upon him and he has lost his job and he faces the loss of his career which he has worked very hard for.”

Brown (23), of Ash Tree Lane, Wykeham, was banned from driving for 18 months and fined £110 when he pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol and fined £70 when he admitted failing to stop when requested by police.

He must also pay £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

Brown can cut the ban by 16 weeks if he completes a rehabilitation course.

Presiding magistrate Jenny Freere-Cook said: “Mr Brown it is sad to see you here because you are obviously a man of good character.

“It was obviously a moment of madness, however we have to deal with you in the right way.”