Discarded cigarette caused Northorpe bungalow fire, say fire service

Items damaged after a bungalow fire at Almond Court, Northorpe. Photo:  SG240513-115TW. www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/buyaphoto

Items damaged after a bungalow fire at Almond Court, Northorpe. Photo: SG240513-115TW. www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/buyaphoto

0
Have your say

UPDATE TUESDAY 10.30am: A fire that left severe damage to a bungalow in a village near Thurlby was caused by a discarded cigarette, it has been confirmed today.

The blaze happened at a bungalow in Almond Court, Northorpe, on Thursday evening when a 63-year-old woman called Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue for help.

Crews from Bourne and Market Deeping using breathing apparatus tackled the blaze but the woman was unhurt.

A South Kesteven District Council spokesman said: “There was extensive damage to the bathroom of the bungalow and the fire service’s view was that it was caused by a discarded cigarette and this was confirmed by the support unit on site.

“The tenant, who was unhurt, called our 24-hour control centre using her intercom unit but the neighbours were unaffected.”

FRIDAY MAY 24 6.30pm: A blaze has caused severe damage to a bungalow in Northorpe, near Thurlby.

Firemen from Bourne and Market Deeping using breathing apparatus tackled the blaze at a property in Almond Court after a report just after 7.45pm yesterday.

A hose reel and dry powder extinguisher were also used to bring the fire under control but items in a bathroom were badly damaged and smoke caused damage to the rest of the bungalow.