THE mysterious death of an elderly couple in their Thai hotel room will never be fully resolved after an inquest in Spalding delivered an open verdict.
George Everitt (78) and wife Eileen (74) had been found dead in their beds at the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai on February 19.
Their deaths were linked at the time to five other foreign nationals who died in similar circumstances. A Thai autopsy had said the pair, who were from Boston, both suffered heart attacks but Home Office pathologists feared this was too much of a coincidence and conducted further tests.
Professor Guy Rutty said the couple may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning but he could not be certain from the evidence and coronor Maureen Taylor delivered an open verdict.