DCSIMG

Jail warning for banned driver

News from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian, spaldingtoday.co.uk, @LincsFreePress on Twitter

News from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian, spaldingtoday.co.uk, @LincsFreePress on Twitter

Magistrates warned a banned driver he faces a prison term if he is caught behind the wheel for a second time.

Maris Subenieks (44), of Roman Bank, Spalding, was driving on the A16 at Surfleet on October 28 because his friend had a headache.

Prosecutor Paul Wood said the police automatic number plate recognition system alerted officers to the possibility that the driver was disqualified.

Police stopped the Mitsubishi Charisma and spoke to Subenieks.

Mr Wood said: “Subenieks said he had been driving because a friend of his had a headache. Clearly some larger explanation of that is available from the defendant.”

He said Subenieks was banned from driving for 18 months on February 7 this year for an offence of drink-driving.

Subenieks pleaded guilty at a previous hearing to driving while disqualified and without insurance, when sentence was adjourned for a probation report.

At Thursday’s resumed hearing, he was given a 12 month community order with 200 hours unpaid work and a further 12 month driving ban for driving while disqualified and no separate penalty for driving without insurance.

He must also pay £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.

Subenieks was not represented by a solicitor in court and did not explain to magistrates why was driving on the day police stopped him.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page