A man still banned from the wheel for causing death by dangerous driving took his partner’s car without her consent and wrote it off in a crash.
Police and paramedics went to a field off the A17 at Sutton Bridge on November 9, but the driver – Daniel Hood – had left.
Marie Stace, prosecuting, said police were called at 12.08am and paramedics told them they had seen “blood splatter” in the driver’s position.
Police checked the registered keeper of the Vauxhall Cintra, went to her home and she didn’t know the vehicle had been taken or involved in a crash.
Miss Stace said police found Hood at the address and he told them he had been a passenger in the vehicle, but not the driver.
Hood was arrested for not disclosing the driver’s details and taken to hospital.
Police stressed their concern for the safety and welfare of the driver and eventually Hood disclosed he was the driver and sole occupant at the time of the accident.
Miss Stace said Hood was banned from driving for six years in 2006 for causing death by dangerous driving and remains disqualified because he has not undertaken the required re-test to get his licence back.
Hood (26), of Bridge Road, Sutton Bridge, was given a year-long community order with 150 hours unpaid work when he pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicle taking, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance.
He was banned for a further year for aggravated vehicle taking and must pay £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.
Solicitor Anita Toal, mitigating, said Hood had been in a downward spiral for the last two years, but now realises he must turn his life around.
She said: “He is very sorry and ashamed of the inconvenience he caused to the police and ambulance service. He just didn’t realise how much his lies would have impacted – you will appreciate at some point he has come clean and has admitted these offences.”