Choked to death in care home

0
Have your say

A CARE home resident choked to death on a piece of meat while he ate lunch alone in the conservatory.

John Exton (61), a schizophrenic, had lived at The Old Vicarage Care Home in Gedney Dawsmere for a number of years and often chose to eat on his own, an inquest heard.

On May 1 this year he was given lunch at about 12.10pm but around ten minutes later a trainee carer, Maureen Jones, looked through the activities room window and could see he wasn’t moving.

Mrs Jones described how she found Mr Exton slumped in his chair with his tongue lolling out of his mouth.

The only other carer on duty, Rosalind Hodgkin, dialled 999 and Mrs Jones administered first aid – including CPR – until retired hospital casualty nurse and LIVES First Responder Anita Wallace took over.

A paramedic arrived shortly afterwards but Mr Exton’s death was recorded at 1.40pm. None of those who tried to revive him detected signs of breathing or a pulse.

Pathologist Dr Ian Clark found a piece of meat in Mr Exton’s larynx and said he died from asphyxia with pneumonia as a secondary cause.

Deputy assistant coroner Dr Murray Spittal recorded a verdict of accidental death at Friday’s hearing in Spalding.