Changing face of South Holland

More of us own our homes outright and more people are renting from private landlords or letting agencies. Photo: SG171213-113TW
More of us own our homes outright and more people are renting from private landlords or letting agencies. Photo: SG171213-113TW
0
Have your say

More of us are in better health in South Holland than we were a decade ago.

That’s probably a good thing, given the current pressures on hospitals and doctors’ surgeries in the area.

There are changes in other areas too, such as the number of lone parent households with dependant children, which has risen from 1,435 in 2001 to 1,913 in 2011. Of those, the vast majority – 1,175 households – had no adults in employment in 2011.

These statistics are just some that have been revealed in the South Holland District Council Facts and Figures report, charting the changes that occurred between 2001 and the 2011 census.

How do we live?

• When it comes to housing, it seems that fewer of us have mortgages than a decade ago – down 4.8 per cent – and fewer of us rent from South Holland District Council – down 2.2 per cent.

• Slightly more (0.7 per cent) rent from some other social agency, but the biggest change (5.9 per cent) is in the number of people renting from private landlords or letting agencies – 11.2 per cent of the population in 2011.

• A lucky 39.2 per cent of homes in South Holland are owned outright, without a mortgage.

• The average household size remains unchanged from 2001 at 2.3 people.

• 701 homes (1.9 per cent) were without central heating in 2011, which is slightly lower than the number in Lincolnshire and 0.8 per cent lower than in England and Wales.

Do we drive – do we ever!

• There were 52,939 cars or vans within the households of South Holland when the census took place in 2011.

• Fewer households said they did not have a car or van – more said they had two, three, four or more cars or vans in their household.

Are we brainier?

• Fewer of us (30.8 per cent as against 38.97 in 2001) said we had NO qualifications.

• Fewer people have lower level qualifications.

• However, many more people have higher level qualifications, rising from 5.02 per cent in 2001 to 10 per cent in 2011 (up 4.98 per cent) for Level 3 and up 5.59 per cent for level 4 qualifications.

• At the time of the census there were 3,014 students aged 16-18 in education and 545 students between the ages of 18 and 74.

Are we healthy?

The 2011 census asked us if we were in “very good health”, something not asked in the questionnaire ten years earlier. However, the 40.5 per cent who reported being in that happy state, combined with the 37.6 per cent who reported being in “good health” means that 78.1 per cent of us are in good health or better, which contrasts favourably with the 64.93 per cent who said they had good health in the 2001 census.

• Fewer people (15.8 per cent instead of 25.77 per cent) said they had “fair” health but fewer people had bad health – 4.7 per cent in 2011 against 9.31 per cent in 2001.

• In 2011, 1.4 per cent had very bad health – a category not recorded in 2001.

• In the latest census, day to day activities were limited a lot by a disability by 9.5 per cent of residents and a little by 11.9 per cent of people.

• There has been little change in the percentage of residents providing unpaid care, 10.7 per cent in 2011 and 10.2 per cent in 2001.

What work are we doing?

• Fewer of us – 10.7 per cent at the last census and 13.57 per cent a decade ago – are managers, directors and senior officials.

• More of us are in professional occupations – 9.7 per cent as against 6.3 per cent – and slightly fewer in “associate professional and technical” occupations – down from 9 per cent to 8.7 per cent.

• The administrative and secretarial jobs have gone down from 11.02 to 10 per cent.

• Skilled trades and occupations have gone down slightly from 14.87 to 14.3 per cent.

• Caring, leisure and other service jobs have gone up – from 6.33 to 9.1 per cent.

• Sales and customer service work has also increased, from 6.58 to 7.5 per cent.

• Process, plant and machine operatives have changed from 15.91 to 15.1 per cent.

• Something called “elementary occupations” have gone down, from 16.34 to 14.8 per cent.