Hall Place in Spalding in the 1960s. when Penningtons was one of three department stores.
The view of Hall Place above, taken in the 1960s, depicts one of the three department stores which thrived in 1950s and 1960s Spalding.
Of the three, Berrills, Hills and Penningtons, only Hills has survived.
The others closed, mainly because of the reduction in rail traffic, which had brought many people into the town.
In addition, car ownership meant that people could travel further afield if they wished.
In fact, the railways over the last 150 years have been pivotal in the development of Spalding.
Originally many of the buildings in Hall Place were erected after the great fire of 1715, although by the beginning of the 20th century they had been much altered.
The Town Hall, which had been built in 1620 by the Town Husbands, the charity which provided money for the poor, stood in the centre until 1854.
With the advent of the railways through Spalding in 1848, this hall was found to be inadequate for the requirements of the corn merchants owing to the expansion of the town from an agricultural point of view, so it was demolished and the Corn Exchange was built.
Now the Corn Exchange has fulfilled its purpose, so we have a place of entertainment instead at the South Holland Centre.
As is obvious in the 1960s photograph, the A16 and the A151 ran through the town, as the signposts on the roundabout show.
Another feature of Hall Place was the water fountain given by the Miss Johnsons. It was subsequently removed to Ayscoughfee Gardens.
It has been suggested that this should be brought back to grace Hall Place again.