CHAMBER CHATTER: By Phil Scarlett, president of Spalding and District Area Chamber of Commerce
We ended last year with the successful Christmas Lights Switch-On event and the first Sunday Christmas Market and we are thankful that it was a bright, dry day and Market and Hall Place were packed.
This in turn increased footfall into the shops and eating places. The plan is to repeat these this year but as two separate events with more stalls and more shops open.
I’m delighted to see Dennis Hannant, our Town Centre Manager, is now settling into his post and making plans for this year.
If businesses or residents wish to share their ideas on events or improvements to the town centre I would ask that they email these to him at: dennis.hannant@lincs- chamber.co.uk He will be reporting progress on town centre initiatives on the Chamber website under his monthly TCM Notes.
My New Year’s Resolutions for Spalding & District Chamber of Commerce
* Through the Logistics Forum, to continue to lobby for improvements to roads in and around Spalding.
We must ensure that our local companies can service the increased demand for products (local and imported) which are being packed and distributed to the major retailers all over the country.
We have an opportunity with John Hayes MP being the Minister of Transport that he will leave us the legacy of a better road infrastructure before the next election, particularly (but not exclusively) with the dualling of the A16.
* The Tourism Forum are working with Newton Press on the printing of 20,000 Visitors Guides and 5,000 town maps, plus working on funding opportunities to help promote South Holland as a visitor destination.
* Town Centre Retailers’ Association: Working with the Town Centre Manager on initiatives to make the town a better place to visit and shop.
* Night Economy Forum: Continuing to improve the mix of leisure and entertainment facilities on offer.
* Shop Watch: With new CCTV monitoring via the Boston monitoring station, this will hopefully make Spalding and Holbeach safer places to shop and visit. I anticipate that we will expand this security network to include Springfields, therefore providing even better coverage within the area
* Chamber will continue providing networking opportunities for businesses and increase our membership within the food and flower businesses in South Holland.