Cabinet Call by Coun Angela Newton

News from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian,, @LincsFreePress on Twitter
News from the Lincs Free Press and Spalding Guardian,, @LincsFreePress on Twitter
Have your say

Local councillors don’t have long holidays like Members of Parliament who break from July 30 until October 13.

South Holland District Council members have less meetings in August.

However, members still gather for planning meetings and for the Policy Development Panel and Performance Management Scrutiny Committees to discuss matters which need attention before September.

Also, members of the Executive, myself and Coun Bryan Alcock continue to meet with officers during August.

Other time is spent on constituency matters.

I work closely with my co-ward member, Coun George Aley, and we tour our ward to see if the road sweeper is needed.

This is often necessary when some of the trees have been trimmed or weeds sprayed in gutters.

We also meet people who have requested additional litter bins and then discuss their requests with grounds maintenance staff to find suitable places for them.

The County Council no longer allow us to place bins on posts.

They have to be placed on concrete bases, capable of being fixed down to avoid vandals using them as footballs, and positioned where they will not be a hazard to partially sighted people or residents with wheel chairs or prams.

These bins costs around £450 each and we fund these out of our members’ budgets as we both agree they are a good asset to our area.

Coun Aley and I also do evening tours to see if we have sufficient footway lights in our ward.

With new developments, the developers are now required to provide adequate lighting to meet present day requirements and, on our main roads, the County Council provide street lighting.

Any resident who notices a light not working can report it direct to the South Holland District Council office, quoting the lamp post number, and the fault will be dealt with.

Hopefully other councillors will also conduct similar visits.

People in Spalding Monks House Ward can contact me via email on if you wish to report areas needing attention.

Contact details for other councillors can be found on South Holland District Council website