HISTORY is in the making at a Spalding shoe store which is stepping back in time to create a traditional shop front in keeping with the 1800s.
The two-storey, terraced building housing Revill’s Shoes, in Francis Street, is shown on a town map of 1887.
Information from historian Michael Elsden reveals the terrace – of which the shop is a part – was built between 1843 and the date of the map.
If South Holland District Council grants planning consent, Revill’s existing 1960s, ground-floor glass frontage will be replaced by a more traditional design – similar to that of nearby Inkley’s on the corner of Francis Street and The Crescent.
Revill’s walk-in recess will become part of the shop’s ground floor, giving customers more space to browse.
David Sanderson, from Revill’s, said: “Our business opened in June 1969 with a fantastic re-fit and our shop window was very much a Sixties design.
“Our look at that time was very progressive and has served us well over the last 43 years.
“We have now decided to return the shop window to a style we believe that closely resembles what it would have looked like all those years ago.
“We are pleased to have the opportunity to be able to improve the appearance of our shop in what we believe to be a wonderful part of Spalding’s historic conservation area.
“We shall be re-fitting both floors of the shop, where we will continue to retail both ladies’ and children’s quality footwear and provide our loyal customers with the first class service they have grown accustomed to.”