Dead mouse stuck in grease at curry shop

Prosecuted: Curry Palace in North Street, Bourne

Prosecuted: Curry Palace in North Street, Bourne

0
Have your say

A DEAD mouse stuck in grease and mouse droppings in food have resulted in a £2,600 fine for a Bourne takeaway.

Owners of the Curry Palace in North Street appeared at Grantham Magistrates’ Court and they were found guilty of two breaches of food safety.

They were fined £2,000 for each offence, which was reduced to £1,300 for the early guilty plea and mitigation, and ordered to pay £776 prosecution costs.

The charges related to pest control and protection against contamination – specifically food packaging which had been nibbled by mice, a dead mouse found stuck in grease on some old equipment in a food store, mouse droppings amongst food, an open soil pipe which allowed mice access to the kitchen, dirty equipment and a lack of cleaning equipment.

Coun John Smith, South Kesteven District Council’s portfolio holder for healthy environment, said: “This verdict shows we are committed to enforcing the highest levels of food safety.

“We advised this outlet on a number of issues which were identified during our routine visits.

“But because they did not act on this advice, we had no option but to prosecute.

“Food safety is an important issue and residents and visitors need to be confident that food businesses in our area are operating safely and that public health is not being compromised.

“We operate a five star rating system which provides the latest food safety rating for all food outlets in our district.”

Log on to www.southkesteven.gov.uk/foodstars and click on scores on the doors to find out ratings.