Burner is the cause of blaze at takeaway

Fire crews attend to an extractor fan anlaze at Nanda's BBQ takeaway, Winsover Road, Spalding.  Photo by Tim Wilson.
Fire crews attend to an extractor fan anlaze at Nanda's BBQ takeaway, Winsover Road, Spalding. Photo by Tim Wilson.

A Spalding takeaway has closed temporarily after a fire on Tuesday caused by sparks from a charcoal burner.

Fire crews were called to Nanda’s BBQ takeaway in Winsover Road where an extractor fan was ablaze.

The fire broke out at about 12.30pm and caused damage to the extractor fan, as well as smoke damage to the first floor of the takeaway.

A couple running the takeaway, who asked not be named, said: “We’re not sure what happened but the restaurant was on fire when we came and it was bad enough to have melted some pieces of the extractor fan.

“It’s the first time this has happened in the four months that we’ve owned the restaurant and we’re waiting for our insurers to come around and see what’s what.

“But we’re hoping to reopen as soon as possible.”