Bike firm goes up in flames

Firefighters tackle the blaze in Kirton. Photo by Adrianne Parnham .
Firefighters tackle the blaze in Kirton. Photo by Adrianne Parnham .

A motorcycling father and son lost their Kirton business of 40 years to a devastating fire last week.

Wilson’s Motorcycles, in Willington Road, was left gutted by the blaze – which claimed a number of vehicles and other contents of a workshop.

The business is owned by Richard Wilson and his motor racing son Ben who competed in this year’s British Superbike Championships.

Along with the motorbikes, the fire destroyed Ben’s first race bike, his first racing trophy and the motorhome he uses at race events.

The fire began at the workshop on the morning of Friday, November 14 – with the flames spreading to the nearby motorhome and fencing.

Four fire crews, two from Boston, one from Kirton and a fourth from Donington, originally tackled the blaze well into the evening.

They were later joined by a fifth crew from Spalding.

On the company’s Facebook group Richard’s daughter Hayley posted a message to thank all those who have shown support to the family.

She wrote: “On behalf of my dad and family I would like to thank customers, Ben’s race fans, the BSB paddock, our family and friends for their kind messages and support at such a difficult and emotional time.

“Dad had worked from there for over 40 years so lots of memories.”

No one was injured in the incident.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue said the cause of the fire is believed to be a faulty wood burning stove.

A fundraising page has been set up to help the family get their business back on its feet. Visit www.gofundme.com/hbn5wg