Abduction claim was all made up

A BOY who disappeared for 90 minutes from his home in Surfleet and claimed he had been abducted made the incident up, police have confirmed.

The nine-year-old at the centre of the allegation was said to have admitted the truth “when it came down to the crunch” after a full investigation had been launched last month.

The news was given to Surfleet Parish Council as they were updated on police matters at their March meeting on Tuesday.

PCSO Sally Pusey said: “He made it up. Someone realised how deep he had made the story and he admitted it when it came down to the crunch.

“It’s quite sad. A lot of parents with young children that were just starting to play outside suddenly found they were not allowed out.”

Efforts to find the boy on Friday, February 24, had been a multi-agency task, including a rescue helicopter from RAF Kinloss in Scotland, Great Yarmouth coastguard, an Environment Agency boat and police dog handlers.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue and a police search advisor had also been involved.

The boy had been reported missing at about 6.25pm and finally turned up at a relative’s home in Pinchbeck at 8pm. He told police he was abducted from his garden, driven in an Audi and dropped off a couple of miles away in a playing field in Gosberton.

He claimed he then walked to Pinchbeck. The boy had not been hurt and said he did not know the alleged offenders.

Reacting to the news, Couns Fran Healands and Allen Dobney commented on the possible expense of the operation.

Councillors also asked whether there had been any warnings to other children about telling lies.

PCSO Pusey said: “We have been to the schools and said you are perverting the course of justice.”

She said officers had been to both the Surfleet and Pinchbeck schools to talk to children.

She added: “It’s a bit of a sigh of relief.”

PCSO Pusey said she could not discuss what had since happened with the boy.

l Lincolnshire Police have not been able to say how much the operation to find him would have cost.