Spalding’s mercy work in 1916

Spalding Red Cross in 1916.
Spalding Red Cross in 1916.

The “mercy work” being performed at the Spalding Red Cross Surgical Requisite Depot was captured in this 1916 photograph taken at Belgian House, Pinchbeck Street.

The “patriotic ladies” were putting in many hours performing delicate work making “all manner of surgical requirements” for use in the Red Cross Hospitals to relieve the suffering of wounded Tommies.

A second photograph shows all the women involved in the work, and naming them all.

Among them were Mrs J W Gleed, vice-president of Spalding Red Cross Society, and names still familiar today, such as Miss Munro, Miss P and Miss E M Maples, Mrs E W Gooch, Mrs J Mawby and Miss Pennington.