Lincolnshire subjected to Zeppelin raid in 1916

Cliff Clover of Fishtoft with his model 1916 Zeppelin.
Cliff Clover of Fishtoft with his model 1916 Zeppelin.

The wider district had experienced its second Zeppelin raid of the month a hundred years ago.

The attack that happened on a Saturday night/early Sunday morning in September 1916 was said to be similar in scale to the one that had taken place at the start of the month.

Lincolnshire had been subjected to attack, along with towns in the East Midlands and Eastern regions, but had fortunately suffered very little damage.

It was thought that “not more than twelve Zeppelins” had taken part in the raid, and two had come down before being able to return to Germany.

However, the Zeppelins dropped about 30 bombs “over a wide area of Lincolnshire”.

The airships were driven off from one district by gunfire and no material damage was done, except, as the report says: “A fowlhouse was demolished in one village, and in another a cottage roof collapsed, but no persons are reported injured in the district. The Zeppelins kept at a great height.”

Anti-aircraft guns came into action when the Zeppelins crossed the Lincolnshire coast, and the “raider replied with a shower of bombs, and for 40 minutes there was an intermittent bombardment.

“The flashes of the guns and the bursting of the bombs were like a vast firework display.”

After an interval, the Zeppelins returned and began to discharge their load. The writer said: “Bomb after bomb burst, and the vibrations were terrific.”

Bombs fell on an unidentified town, two falling in a churchyard and leaving holes 12 feet deep, but bombs were also dropped in the countryside, leaving 17 “huge excavations” in meadows.

One regional town was given warning of the airships’ approach and gas and electricity were switched off.