Chance to apply for community grants
Community groups and parish councils are reminded not to miss the April1 deadline for applications to the Community Wildlife Grant fund.
The fund managed by Lincolnshire County Council aims to assist projects that:
l Encourage community involvement with nature conservation projects
l Promote, improve and protect biodiversity
l Promote access to and enjoyment of the countryside.
Last year £7,839 was awarded to 24 environmental projects throughout Lincolnshire.
Many communities applied for grants to plant trees to commemorate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, while other grants included £500 for Bardney Parish Council to plant 375m of new hedge, £500 for Caistor in Bloom to fund wildflower meadow seed and fruit trees to extend an orchard in a recreation area and £500 for Brattleby Church towards repairing a dry stone wall leading up to the church.
Coun Eddy Poll said: “The Community Wildlife Grant is a great opportunity for local groups to be able to enhance their local environment, both for wildlife and the wider community. Planting trees and hedges, creating nature areas and repairing dry stone walls provide wildlife with vital places to live and feed, while residents can enjoy living in greener, more pleasant surroundings.”
Grants are available for between £50 and £500, up to a maximum of 75 per cent of the total cost. The remaining 25 per cent could be in the form of volunteer time to undertake the work. Applications will be approved at the discretion of the county council’s Environmental Services and will be awarded in two rounds in April and September.
To find out more, or apply contact Matthew Davey, environment and community projects officer on 01522 782070
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Spalding
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 25 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North west